The holidays are stressful enough on their own, but trying to sell your home during this busy season can seem like too much to handle. Luckily, if you plan ahead and keep your cool, the process of selling your home during the winter months can go smoothly. Try these tips to ease your holiday selling stress so you can enjoy the season.
- Prepare your home well in advance. If you know you’re going to have to sell during the holidays, the sooner you can get your home ready to put on the market the better.
- Take care of holiday errands early. Don’t procrastinate on your Christmas shopping. Selling your home is stressful enough, so you don’t want to be stuck fighting traffic and long lines at the mall as well.
- Hire someone to help with the cleaning. You’ll need to keep your home immaculate for showings, which is easier said than done when friends and family are frequenting your home for holiday parties.
- Don’t schedule showings when you have house guests. Your friends and family won’t be pleased if they have to vacate every time a buyer wants to take a look. If you plan on having holiday visitors, let your agent know that these dates are off- limits for showings.
- Keep the weekends open for showings. Homes show better when it’s bright out, but as the days get shorter, buyers may have less time to squeeze in daytime visits during the workweek. Be prepared to open your home to buyers over the weekend.
- Don’t fret over a lack of lookers. Fewer people viewing your home doesn’t necessarily mean fewer offers. You may not get as many visitors during the holidays, but the ones you do get will be serious about buying.
There’s always next year. If you don’t manage to sell during the holiday season, don’t let it get you down. Sales should pick up as spring approaches – maybe we try then.